Diagnosed with mild herpes zoster. No pain. Had unprotected sex. Will my partner be infected?

Hi, am new to this site.. have been diagnosed with mild herpes zoster with a strip of small blisters just above my waste on the left side. Do no have pain, but discomfort! Before the diagnosis I had unprotected sex with
my wife. Is it possible that she would be infected? I got valtrex 500 mg (twice daily) for treatment. Would appreciate feedback. Many thanks in advance
Posted Tue, 5 Nov 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Chances of infection is less(wife).Dose adjustment

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX, thanks for using XXXXXXX
Be relaxed using this site. We will try our best to help you.

I went through the query and understand your concern.

1. You should not be confused between Herpes Simplex and Herpes Zoster. Herpes Simplex is a STD that usually get spread to the partner in unprotected sex.

H Zoster is due to reactivation of the Chicken pox virus that has affected usually in child hood days. This is not STD. But the virus can spread to your partner if she get exposed to the vesicular fluid into the open wound or mucosa. If your wife also had suffered from chicken pox in her child hood days then no problem.

2. Since diagnosed as herpes zoaster, you need further investigations like complete haemogram, HIV and HbSAg to rule out any other disease as H Zoster commonly affect immuno compromised patients and creatinine clearance for fixing the dosage.

3. The dose in otherwise normal H Zoster patients is 1000 mg three times daily for seven days.
In immunocompromised patients 1000 mg three times daily for at least seven days and for 2 days following crusting of lesions. This dose is reduced according to creatinine clearance (renal patients).
So your dose is very less if your renal function is normal. So discuss with your doctor for adjusting the dose if required. 500mg BD is for H simplex.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. Feel free to ask if any related query and I will be glad to answer them.
If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well. Wish you a very happy life and good health.