Diagnosed with menstric panniculitis. Treated with prednisone 50mg. Having pain in lower abdomen. What to do?

Sep 2012

I am a 70 year old cauc. male diagnosed 2 weeks ago with menstric panniculitis. Treated by 7days of prednisone 50mg/day. Pain was relieved by Prednisone but 1 weak later the pain is returning in my lower abdomen. What can I expect as this disease goes on?
Posted Fri, 23 Nov 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 2 hours later
Thank you for asking a question.
Firstly, mesenteric panniculitis is a rare condition of mesentry of gastrointestinal tract. Here inflammation occurs around and inbetween the fat cells. Many other diseases are associated with this conditions like mesenteric arteriopathy, chemical, thermal and other injuries, some cardiac diseases, pancreatitis, gall bladder diseases, etc.
So, when a patient is diagnosed with mesenteric panniculitis , a thorough search should be made for presence of the abovementioned conditions.
Diagnosis is made on the basis of MRI finding. It is the gold standard investigation.
Now, coming to the treatment. Most effective treatment modality is corticosteroids. Except this other immunosuppressive agents used in this condition are colchicine, cyclophosphamide.

The symptoms you have described indicates
- Relapse of the condition.
- Peptic ulcer due to taking steroids.
To differentiate these condition, you have to visit your treating doctor for a thorough clinical examination , ordering a repeat MRI, if indicated.
For this condition you can take pantoprazole group of drugs if the condition is due to peptic ulceration.
If relapse of the mesenteric panniculitis occurs, then other immunosuppressive agents should be considered. In refractory condition, surgery is the last option.
So, consult your treating doctor for a thorough clinical examination and treatment according to the specific condition as I told previously.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know if you have any more question.