Diagnosed with low sperm motility. Taking Maxoza L and colmid. Would this be helpful?

Infertility Specialist
Hello Doctor, My husband has been diagnosed with low sperm motility. He was advised take Clomid for 20 days post which the motility dropped down from 20% to 0, even though the count increased considerably. Later another doctor advised him to take Maxoza L. Currently his sperm count is about 38 million/ml and motility now is 5%. I wanted to know if Maxoza L would be helpful to increase his motility?. He is 35 years old and smokes and drinks almost everyday (two cigarettes a day).
Posted Fri, 6 Sep 2013 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Alcohol & smoking is deleterious to sperm health

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX
Most important thing to improve semen parameters is to quit smoking & alcohol, as both will reduce sperm quality, fertilizing capacity & hence chances of pregnancy.
Regarding Maxoza L, It can improve sperm quality & motility, though its not proven in any clinical study. Importantly, It won't harm, so he can continue taking It. For any benifit to be seen in sperm motility, semen analysis needs to be repeated at least after 3 months, as benifit won't be visible before that(It takes 74 days for sperms to form & reach semen).
Also I saw the semen analysis report. Kindly get It repeated from a standard lab as normal forms can never be 80%, and not all immotile sperms are dead. Better to get It done from a lab where IVF facilities are avaliable as these labs generally maintain high quality of standards.
Let me know if you have other concerns.
Follow-up: Diagnosed with low sperm motility. Taking Maxoza L and colmid. Would this be helpful? 42 minutes later
Thank you doctor for your kind response. Apart from quitting smoking, drinking alcohol and maxozaL, is there any other medication/supplement you recommend?
Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Healthy lifestyle: diet, supplements

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
Followings things he can follow for improvement in semen parameters.
1. Not to wear tight fitting undergarments.
2. Taking cold water bath OR apply cold instead of hot water to private parts during bath.
3. Avoid prolonged sitting/standing.
Above 3 measures will either improve blood flow to testis or keep its temperature low.
4. Eat plenty of fruits/dry fruits.
5. Take nutritional supplements containing antioxidants. Vit. A, C, E & Co-Q are good antioxidants.
Let me know if you have other concerns.