Diagnosed with lamellar icthyosis. Started soriatane. Why do I have herpes simplex? How to treat it?

Dermatologist
Question
HELLO, I AM 49. I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH LAMELLAR ICTHYOSIS FROM BIRTH. 20 YEARS AGO OR SO, I STARTED TAKING SORIATANE 125 MG A DAY. IT CLEARED IT UP COMPLETEY. TODAY I AM GETTING THESE HIDEOUS RASHES, USUALLY ON MY NEC AND TORSO AREA. MY DERM TOLD ME IN THE BEGINNING THAT IT WAS A STAFF INFECTION. HOWEVER AS TIME GOES ON THEY ARE COMING BACK AGAIN IN TWO MONTH INTERVAL'S TWICE AS BAD AS BEFORE. MY INTIRE CHEST IS ENGULFED IN A RED, RAW AREATHAT INCLUDES REDNESS, LEEKING, RAISED PUSTUL'S AND IT'S JUST FLAT OUT HIDEOUSLY UNCOMFORTABLE! FROM RESEARCH ONLINE IT APPEAR'S THAT DARIOUS-WHITE DISEASE IS WHAT I HAVE ALONG WITH THE ICTHYOSIS. MY DERM, WHOM I'M LUCKY TO ACTUALLY SEE ONCE A YEAR HAD LAST TOLD ME TEST RESULT'S SHOWED I HAD CONTRACTED HERPES SIMPLEX 2. WHAT CAN I DO TO OVER-COME THIS COMPLETELY DAY TO DAY AGONY!!!!????? Than you for any help! Being that I have this Icthyososis mess, what can I do to overcome that, other than oral retiniod's? The only thing that ever happened positive was me taking the drug,"Tegison"! The Absolute HELL WITHANYONE ONEeLSE!
ITWORKED!!!!XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash

Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 1 hour later
I understand your concern.
Infection with herpes simplex virus-2 (HSV-2) is a chronic condition and cannot be treated permanently. The herpes infection is unrelated to icthyosis. The current approach that we follow is to treat the episodes during which the patient experiences symptoms similar to the ones that you are experiencing. Treatment involves anti-viral drugs like acyclovir which are usually given for a week. If a person has more than 4 episodes in a year, we usually start suppressive therapy in which acyclovir is given for a year. Since this is a prescription drug, I would suggest that you consult your prescribe the same for you.
As far as ichthyosis is concerned, it is a genetic condition and can’t be cured completely. It will recur once the medication is stopped. If the condition is mild, topical (locally applied) preparations usually suffice but oral treatment is needed for severe cases. To control icthyosis, one can apply moisturising creams, topical steroidal creams with salicylic acid etc. Additionally, avoid using hot water to shower and use a moisturising soap.
I hope I have answered your query. I shall be available for follow up queries.
Dr.Rohit Batra