Diagnosed with jock itch. Have rash on thigh and scrotum. Used OTC and fungal cream. What is it?

Question
I went to the doctor a week ago and was diagnosed with jock itch, I have a slight rash on my thighs and my scrotom and peninsula is pulsating along with a red rash/purple scrotom?
I have also been using a jock itch cream that was prescribed but only got 1 day and a half out of it and since have been using OTC abut fungal cream and powder on my scrotom it's looks like a line splitting the two testicles and then the sides are red
Posted Tue, 21 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Treatment OF jock itch consists of topical antifungal cream which may contain miconazole, tolnaftate, terbinafine,ketaconazole and clotrimazole. Some of them are Lamisil, Monistat derm, Mycelex, and Nizoral but they should be used only after a dermatologist’s prescription. Restrict wearing any undergarments at night and as far as possible keep the area dry.

Sometimes application of one topical antifungal is not sufficient for jock itch and a combination of two and more antifungals are needed until the itch disappears. one has to continue application for 2 weeks after the itch disappears. The cause for persistence is that the treatment is often left in between, treatment resistance (when one drug is being used), co-existing dermatitis, diabetes and low immunity.

So use the antifungal cream prescribed by your doctor.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with jock itch. Have rash on thigh and scrotum. Used OTC and fungal cream. What is it? 7 minutes later
Thank you! So do you still think it is the jock itch or something else? I know it's hard without being able to see it. But I've been reading that jock itch usually doesn't go to the scrotom is that false information I'm just worried that there is a different problem.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 15 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

The rash of jock itch starts in the groin fold usually on both sides. If the rash advances, it usually advances down the inner thigh. Jock itch caused by T. rubrum does not involve the scrotum or penis. If those areas are involved, the most likely agent is Candida albicans.

The symptoms can be due to dermatitis skin also. You should get a KOH examination of the skin scrapings done to confirm the diagnosis.