Diagnosed with isemic collitis. What diet should I take?

General Surgeon
Question
hi i have just been diagnosed with isemic collitis and have not been told what i need to eat or not to stop any flare ups
Posted Sat, 23 Mar 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 13 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

You have not been told about specific diet as there is no such diet in this condition. Ischeamic colitis is caused by insufficient blood supply of the large intestine what gives abdominal pains and can lead to intestine necrosis.
Generally if this condition flares up, you should prevent any foods and have liquids only. You should also have WBC monitored to see if the inflammation does not reaches the point that the additional treatment will be necessary.
In between the episodes, no specific diet is necessary.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with isemic collitis. What diet should I take? 10 minutes later
I have had a five day antibiotic treatment in hospital was sent home but I still have some mild pain what can I do to stop this .how do I know the infection has gone

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 8 minutes later
Hello!

The pain is an indication of inflammatory process so the best way to get rid of it is to fight this inflammation. It can happen that five day of antibiotics will be not sufficient. That is why, if the pain is still present, you should visit your doctor and have checked CRP(very sensitive marker of inflammation) and WBC (white blood cells, this rises when inflammation is present) level and if elevated antibiotics should be considered.

Regards.