Diagnosed with hypersensitivity vasculitis. High level of protein in urine. The cause of protein in urine?

I have hypersensitive vasculitis, diagnosed a month ago. My legs are healing. Pain is going away. However, I have a high level of protein in my urine. I will see a specialist, soon, I hope. Is there any chance that the protein will go away now that my legs are healing?
Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 2 hours later

Hypersensitivity vasculitis is generally limited to the skin and heals fast. But since it is causing proteinuria now; that means the vasculitis may have affected the kidney (which means it is a systemic disease).

Causes of protein in urine are:

1. Systemic vasculitis-
2. Drug induces acute interstitial nephritis (AIN)
3. Any underlying diabettes or hypertension.

Therefore when you visit your specialist, he/she can plan for the following tests: Urine routine; 24 hrs urine protein: ANA; ANCA; c3 and serum creatinine.

A treatment will be planned depending on the reports. I would also suggest you to follow-up regularly with your nephrologist (specialist).

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.