Diagnosed with hole in heart. How can I get it off my mind?

Cardiologist
Question
I was told by my doctor that I had a hole in my heart. Go home and enjoy the time you have left, I am going to be 80 years old on july 4th. Thought it didn't bother me, but can't get it off my mind
Posted Sat, 8 Jun 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 51 minutes later
hi,
welcome to healthcare magic.
As your doctor told to you that you have a hole in the heart.
usually hole in the heart means that is present since birth.
Acquired hole in your age group means aVSD after an heart attack.
You have not mentioned the ECHO report . which was the test to know the details of hole.
If the hole is since birth , now in your age group there is no need for intervention if you are asymptomatic.
But if it is acquired after a heart attack , you need further evaluation.
So please give details of echo test to further clarity to understand your problem.
thank you.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with hole in heart. How can I get it off my mind? 9 minutes later
No heart attack. In fact as I stated, I have been fairly healthy all my life. I do have arthritis and Something called Essential tremors that I never heard of before either.
Evedently I have had this sence birth. No heart attack. Sometimes a few pains, but we all have those.

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 9 minutes later
hi
thanks for writing in
without any heart attack in your age group hole in the heart . and no symptoms , nothing to be done.
But it should be clear that what is meant by hole in heart, whether your docter did an echo and said that or only with clinical examination.
so you need a detailed cardiac evaluation first with an detailed echocardiogram.
thank you