Diagnosed with hocm. What are it symptoms and treatment?

I age 67 and son age 41 have recently been diagnosed with hocm. We are both symptom free apart from high BP.we both were tested after my nephew was diagnosed. He had classic symptoms.we are both scared about our diagnosis and would welcome any reassurance. XXXXXX YYYY@YYYY
Posted Sun, 2 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

HOCM is a common heart disease, responsible for cardiac events if not diagnosed and managed. I think its good news having made a timely diagnosis. Now you need a complete clinical and paraclinical review to ascertain the actual extent of the pathology.

EKGs and cardiac ultrasound for a start should be very sufficient. Depending on the past medical history and these findings, your cardiologist should be able to place you an appropriate management regime.
However, some life style modifications and exercise or energy demanding activities should avoided.

The main cause of events in HOCM is that most people live with it and are never diagnosed, never managed, engage in risky life styles and activities, and this leads top discovery usually only after a fatal circumstance.

I think you just need to XXXXXXX your cardiologist for a complete review and placement on appropriate treatment. It would also be advisable to get other family members screened for the disease or other similar cardiomyopathies.

You just need to be calm as you follow the cardiologist s recommendations. With that, all should be fine and you a normal life style like all.

Thanks and hope this helps as I wish you the best of health.

Best regards,
Dr Luchuo, MD.