Diagnosed with high uric acid level. Experiencing pain in collar bone. Gained weight after jaundice. Suggest diet control?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

I have been diagonosed with high uric acid level (5.9) and the am also experiencing pain in the collar bone for the past 2.5 months. I used to have a very active lifestyle which included various sports activities while in school. The same has now changed to moderate activities for the past three years, resulting in immense weight gain of abou 20 KGs in the period. In fact the weight gain started after I had got Jaundice and was recovering from the disease 3 years ago.

Please help on what I need to do in terms of diet contol and medications.

Posted Wed, 25 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow the following things.

Detailed Answer:

In terms of diet control and medications you need to do following-

Increase the consumption of dietary soluble fibres such as Isabgol, Oats, Spinach, Broccoli. Dietary fibre may help absorb uric acid in your bloodstream, allowing it to be eliminated from your body through your kidneys.

Use cold-pressed olive oil in cooking. Olive oil helps you avoid the production of excess uric acid, which is associated with the consumption of fats.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Avoid foods that are high in purine like spinach, beans, peas, lentils, oatmeal, cauliflower and mushrooms, meat. Avoid caffeine and alcohol

Keep well hydrated, drinking 2 to 3 liters of water per day.

Do regular exercise, jogging, swimming to manage your weight.

You can take tylenol or ibuprofen for relief of gout-related pain.

If your uric acid level in blood is still high, uricosuric drugs include probenecid and Xanthine oxidase inhibitors - Such as allopurinol will be helpful to prevent the gout. Please consult your doctor before taking these.