Diagnosed with high blood sugar. On oral medications. Advise on sugar report?

Hi, I am type 2 diagnosed with 434 sugar level 2 years back. I was on oral medication for 8 months and then my A1C dropped to 4.8% and gradually my medications came down to nill. From one year I am controlling with exercise and diet. My A1C had been 6.6,5.8,5.8, last one year, but last three months I had lots of sugar free ice creams and my a1 c was 7.8.

The below r my sugar levels for 20 days:

The below are the readings from past 20 days.

26/05- f- 143,after morning gym-131,2hrs-167

29/05-f-141, 2hr-113

31/05-f-115,before dinner-106

04/06-after morning gym-122,2hrs- lunch-158

05/06-f-116,before dinner-88

06/06-before dinner-94

07/06- before dinner-92

08/06-2 hrs post dinner- 107

11/06-2 hrs post lunch- 142

12/06-f-106,2 hrs post lunch-121

15/06-3.5 hrs of eating-100

Posted Thu, 5 Jul 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Amit Rajput 1 hour later

Thank you for posting on XXXXXXX

I went through the details of glucose and glycosylated haemoglobin (Hba1c) readings you have posted. If you carefully notice, the Hba1c is gradually increasing. Also most of the fasting readings are above the acceptable range, probably contributing to the rise in Hba1c.

Sugar-free ice cream should have increased post meal sugar values which in your case seem to be fairly under normal limits. It's the fasting sugar (8 hour overnight fasting approximately) which is contributing to the rise in Hba1c. Perhaps the rise in fasting sugars is due to liver and not the ice cream.

Good control of diabetes gives excellent results in future by avoiding complications of diabetes, only if sugars are under normal limits for first 10 years.

You clearly need to take medications in addition to lifestyle modification to avoid complications of diabetes in future. Try targeting Hba1c to values under 6.5 with the help of your physician/diabetologist. I urge you not to ignore this fact, even if you are not facing any symptoms - atleast for the first 10 years, which are most important.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries, if any.