Diagnosed with high BP after having transient ischemic attack. On Coveram. Experiencing edema, mostly in leg,lightheaded and weight gain. Advise?

I am a 59 year-old female who was diagnosed with high blood pressure in 2010 after having a TIA. I had a mild stroke in April 2012 and was put on Coversyly Plus, as well as Clopidogrel and Lipitor. My doctor has recently changed my blood pressure medication from Coversyl Plus to Coveram because my BP was starting to go up again (140/85 on two visits 6 weeks ago). Since about a week after the medication change (about 5 weeks ago), I have been experiencing edema, mostly in my left leg, slight light-headedness and weight gain, even though I have been trying to lose weight and am consuming between 1200 and 1500 calories per day. I self-monitor my BP and it is now sitting around 100/75, but sometimes drops to about 90/60. I went back to my doctor two weeks ago because I was concerned about the edema, along with more frequent urination but was told to stick with the medication and drink less water! Should I get another opinion?
Posted Sat, 28 Sep 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please see details.

Detailed Answer:
Respected ma'm
1. Coveram is a combination of amlodipine & perindopril. Swelling of feet (pedal edema) is a well known side effect of amlodipine. It is usually recommended to keep your feet in non-dependent posture as far as possible. At times, we add drugs which remove water from body (diuretics). If edema still persists the drug will have to be withdrawn.
2. Weight gains come secondary to edema.
3. Lightheadedness may be caused by the excessive lowering of blood pressure initially. This may resolve with time. If it persist dose of medication have to be adjusted or it may be withdrawn.
4. Excessive urination may occur with amlodipine like drugs for initial few days.
5. There can be other causes for these symptoms (like diastolic dysfunction of heart, postural hypotension etc.) which requires an examination. Since your doctor has examined you and find nothing serious, he told you to wait. Once a period of 3-4 weeks has elapsed after starting the therapy and everything is persistent, you should go to doctor and discuss again. If he sticks to his views, take a second opinion.
Hope this helps.