Ask a Urologist   »  

Diagnosed with hepatomegaly with fatty liver and prostatomegaly. What medicine and diet to take?

I have been detected with moderate hepatomegaly with grade2 fatty liver and grade1 prostatomegaly with significant post voidal residual urine of 70.03 ml. This was detected through USG of whole abdomen on 17.05.2013. What medicines should I take and what should be my diet?
gasex, liv.52 ds, pilex, XXXXXXX serrulata m.tincture is being used with aloe vera gel. vlso used bandy plus(1d), mebex(3d), venusmin-300(5-d). bleeding stopped.
Posted Sat, 29 Jun 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 2 hours later

There is enlargement of the prostate gland and it is significantly obstructing the urine flow.
Post voidal residual urine up to 50 ml is normal.
In comparison to your age, this has occurred quite early.
In this situation, I will prescribe Tamsulosin to my patients.
Consult an urologist for more information.

Fatty liver is due to accumulation of excess fat on the liver.
In the initial stages, it may not produce any problem but later it can lead to liver cirrhosis.

So fatty foods (Fries) and high carbohydrate food (Refined) should be avoided.
Regular exercise and reduction of body weight.

All the liver parameters are normal for you.
Repeat it every year.

Hope this answer helps you.
Pleased to answer other queries.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with hepatomegaly with fatty liver and prostatomegaly. What medicine and diet to take? 10 hours later
Shall I continue with these products that I have mentioned. any specific medicine for liver?
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 23 minutes later

There are no specific treatment available for fatty liver at this point in time.
But the underlying cause of the disease should be treated.

Quit alcohol if you're an alcoholic.

The preparation which you're taking are indigenous medicines(Ayurvedic) with claims of liver protective abilities.
There are no studies to prove their claims.

My advice maybe you will be fine without it also.

Consult your doctor for more information.