Diagnosed with hashimoto's.Have elevated WBC. On medication. Feeling fatigued. Should I be concerned?

Hi, I'm a 32 year old female recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's. While in the process, my CBC came back with an elevated WBC. I'm taking zonisamide for migraines (have been for over a year). In March, my WBC was 7.8. A week ago, it was 11.4 and two days ago, 12.8. My neutrophils a week ago were 7800 and now 8250. Lymphocytes jumped from 2350 to 3690. Everything else remained almost the same. I am having a lot of extreme (and I mean extreme) fatigue. I also have a small area with raised bumps (rash) in the inside crease of my elbow AND on the outside and some joint stiffness/pain. My PCP doesn't want to repeat the tests for six more weeks so I'm stuck in limbo. Should I be concerned or ask another doctor for quicker follow-up?
Posted Sat, 18 Aug 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 3 hours later

There is nothing to panic here. Please relax. I will try my best to help you.

Elevated WBC is a health concern only when it runs in more than a few thousands. The total WBC count normally ranges from 8000 to 0000. Two days ago, it was 12.8 in you. Do you mean to say it was 0000?

There is a bit of ambiguity in your report. Neutrophils and lymphocytes are usually mentioned in percentage. Are you saying your Neutrophils now are 82.5% and Lymphocytes is 36.9%?

It would be easier for me to interpret your report if I can see the report by myself. You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

The extreme fatigue may be attributed to the recently diagnosed Hashimoto's. The rash and the joint stiffness and pain indicate a recent onset viral fever.

I agree with your PCP to not repeat the test for six more weeks.

You can take it slow; there is no emergency here or need to seek another doctor.

Awaiting your response.