Ask a Dentist   »  

Diagnosed with gingivitis. Feel like gums dissolving. Suggest

my gums are dissolving in my mouth due to bad hygiens and now my teeth are starting to poke out what can I do until I get to the Dentist? I feel like my bones are getting ate up is that possible? I was diagnosed with gingivitis a long time ago but didn't do anything about it
Posted Sat, 7 Dec 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 8 days later
Brief Answer: Yes,gingivitis may lead to weakening of teeth. Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for writing in. I would like to tell you that gingivitis means inflammation of gingiva due improper oral hygiene.Deposition of plaque and calculus in the gum pockets and root surfaces of the teeth leads to gingival inflammation, recession of gums, exposure of the roots and pain and sensitivity. If not treated in time, the degenerative process leads to tooth mobility and finally exfoliation of teeth. It’s nothing to worry much about. You need to go for scaling for removal of calculus. It’s better to get it done as early as possible. Also, take gum paint for gum massage. Do maintain proper oral hygiene by regular brushing & flossing. Also do 0.2% chorhexidine mouthwash once daily half an hour after brushing. Consult your dentist for further treatment. Hope I answered your query. Regards Dr.Neha Sumra