Diagnosed with gerd and anxiety. Prescribed prilosec. Getting pressure in chest. Related to heart?

Question
Gerd or Heart?i have been having chest issues for about a month now. i went to the er and the dr did a chest xray...troponin heart test...ekg..ecg...and ultrasound of abdomin and all test were negative. wss diagnosed with gerd and anxiety and put on prilosec. have been on it for couple weeks and still not much relief...i have alot of belching and stomach noise and pressure in chest which is presistant but does come and go. should i be concerned about heart even though all test were ok and er dr and my pcp say heart is fine?
Posted Mon, 18 Mar 2013 in GERD

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 27 minutes later

With all heart tests normal I don't think you should worry about heart issues. But since chest pain has not resolved after regular antacids I guess you should get investigated for GERD,hiatus hernia and ulcer.Investigation like endoscopy and consultation with gastroenterologist can be considered in your case.

Hope this answers your question.Please ask if there are doubts. Regards.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with gerd and anxiety. Prescribed prilosec. Getting pressure in chest. Related to heart? 6 minutes later
does gerd and indegestion issues cause chest pain? like i said have seen my pcp and er dr and in total have had had 3 ekgs...cbc..troponin....chest xray....ultrasound....and all was clear....would these test locate any issues in the heart such as failure or blockage? my dr states with all these test being negative it has removed my heart as a possibilitu as a heart problem would have shown up. is that correct?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 29 minutes later
1.Yes, GERD and indigestion/acidity cause chest pain.
2.Yes, these investigations can rule out heart issues quiet well.These test can pick up symptomatic blockage. For asymptomatic blockage one will need coronary angiography.
3.I agree with your doctor about heart issue.

Regards.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with gerd and anxiety. Prescribed prilosec. Getting pressure in chest. Related to heart? 2 hours later
yes my dr told me that even a cardiologist wouldnt order furthir testing if all the test i have taken already showed no abnormalities. he stated that heart was ok due to test results and that gerd can have flare ups that which it may take weeks even a montj of daily treatment along with diet changea and weight loss for the pain and aymptoms to subside...is this true?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 6 hours later
Yes, its true and I agree with your doctor.

Regards.