Diagnosed with gastritis and tested positive for H. Pylori. On antibiotics and acid reducer. Stool is soft and light brown. Advise?

General Surgeon
Hello I was diagnosed with Gerd/gastritis and tested positive for H. Pylori. I've been on 2 kinds of antibiotics and one acid reducer for the past 3 days. Doc said she wants to put me on two full rounds (total of 4 wks) of treatment. each round is for two weeks. Yesterday I noticed these tiny black specks in my stool. Not red. My stool is soft (it breaks apart really easily, sorry for the visual) and light brown. Could it be that I have ulcers? Is it from GI bleeding? Or could this be the antibiotics working, my body eradicating itself from h.pylori? Im a 29 year old female. I take amoxicillin 500mg two pills, twice a day. Clarithromycin 500mg 1 pill twice a day. Lansoprazole 30mg 1 pill twice a day. I read online that the usual treatment is 2 week long of antibiotics. why would the doctor tell me she already wants to put me on 2 full rounds?Thanks
Posted Wed, 4 Sep 2013 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Colour is due to the food you take

Detailed Answer:
Though the usual course is 2 weeks,some prefer4 weeks.there is no wrong in that.
Colour of the stool depends on the food you take.
Stools will black tarry coloured when there is upper gastro intestinal bleeding.
There is possibility of mild bleed leading to dark flecks.
Clarithromycin sometimes aggravates the gastritis.
The commonest complication of amoxycillin is mild diarrhoea.
Apart from these,please check the diet you are may lead to dark stools.
So,apart from the 3 drugs i will give sucralfate syrup to my patients.
But,to eradicate. Pylori the regimen should be followed.
Avoid spicy food,carbonated drinks,pain killers.
Wish you good health