Diagnosed with frontal lobe atrophy. Taking medicine for HBP and high cholesterol level. Concerned

Dec 2012

I am 51 yrs old and diagnosed on an MRI with frontal lobe atrophy.I had an in office eeg which was normal but I am having a 72 hr eeg next week. I have high blood pressure and high cholesterol controlled by meds. Should I be concerned?
Posted Sun, 3 Mar 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

Thanks for posting.

The frontal lobe of the brain plays a key role in higher mental functions such as motivation, planning, social behaviour, and speech production. So if you are having an atrophy (thinning or reduction in size) of the frontal lobe it might be probably due to an underlying diseases condition. For you to be concerned, it will depend on the cause and how you are present mental function is (i.e with respect to above mentioned characteristics). A frontal lobe atrophy can result from a range of causes including head trauma, tumours, degenerative diseases, neurosurgery and cerebrovascular disease.
If your cholesterol and hypertension is under control then you need to worry less. Other measures to reduce cardiovascular diseases should be taken.
Please do pursue with the EEG and another MRI should be done to see if there are any changes.

Hope this was helpful and write back if you have any follow-up questions
Dr Nsah