Diagnosed with fatty liver. Taking ulcoat syrup & propanz D. Having stomach pain. SGOT, SGPT normal

sir, I was diagnosed with fatty liver 6 months ago for which I took liveraid & udihep forte tablets. Now doctor had said that SGOT & SGPT tests are normal. Now I have light feeling of pain on the left side of stomach. After taking a full abdominal ct scan, doctor said it may be due to acidity since the scan showed no significant abnormal signs.Now I am taking ulcoat syrup & propanz D tablets.

Also I have problem in digestion of hard foods like eggs, chicken for almost 2 years. I goto gym & exercise heavily 4 days a week. I want to buildup muscle & hence i take heavy protein foods like eggs, chicken but it doesn't work since i could not digest it.I want to know what could be the cause for my indigestion (only when I take eggs,chicken/mutton).. (also im alcoholic, i used to drink 3 - 4 days a week).
Posted Tue, 3 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possible ulcer or hyperacidity

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Based on all the information you have provided, a doctor would normally suspect an ulcer.

The ulcoat syrup and propanz D tablets are also proof that your doctor is also suspecting a developing ulcer and trying to prevent it. I would also like to say that alcohol further irritates the inner lining of the stomach and bowels leading to the formation of ulcers, which is why it is best you avoid it.

The reason why you have been struggling to digest edibles like eggs, chicken, mutton, etc; could also be attributed to irritation of the inner lining of the stomach or bowel due to these foods, especially if they have been prepared in oil. In such a scenario, the best thing would be to first avoid all oily/fatty/fried food, alcohol, carbonated drinks, spicy food, smoking, and drink plenty of water. Please visit your doctor for an endoscopy to look into the inner mucosa of your upper digestive tract.

I hope this information helps you sir. Do write back to me for any further clarifications.

Wishing you good health always.
Follow-up: Diagnosed with fatty liver. Taking ulcoat syrup & propanz D. Having stomach pain. SGOT, SGPT normal 22 minutes later
Dear sir, thanks for the reply. Actually I take boiled egg whites & boiled chicken only. For how long should I continue with ulcoat & propanz D & whats the remedy or any medication available for the indigestion problem.. (once I took pankreoflat tablets & it increased my stomach I discontinued it).

Also will drinking tender coconut water in empty stomach after getting up in the morning will help?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ulcoat for at least 3 months, yes TC is good

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again,

You are most welcome.

The recommended use of ulcoat or sucralfate like medication would be for at least 3 months. These medications help by coating the ulcer and preventing from further aggravating it, but not only this, they also help in healing of the ulcer to quite an extent.

Propanz D can be taken for the same duration, as it will be required for as long as the ulcer or hyperacidity is present and active.

Ulcoat or syrup sucralfate is quite sufficient in tackling the current situation, but if you have indeed been diagnosed with an ulcer (through endoscopy), treatment may include antibiotics and proton pump inhibitors as well.

Yes, drinking cold water or cold tender coconut will help by reducing irritation of the inner mucosa.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Do write back to me for further help sir.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with fatty liver. Taking ulcoat syrup & propanz D. Having stomach pain. SGOT, SGPT normal 8 hours later
Dear Sir, thanks for the reply. I have one last question.
Is there any remedy/medication for the indigestion problem (when I take eggs/chicken).
Also when I pass stools sometimes it is accompanied by foam like thing (foamy stools). is it serious..

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Diet change best; foamy stools need to be checked

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again.

The current medication that you are taking are good. It should be continued. You will also need to visit a nutritionist for a complete diet plan. If you eat healthy you should not suffer indigestion. An endoscopy would be a good diagnostic tool sir, please discuss the same with your doctor.

Avoid large meals instead have 5-6 small meals. Avoid oily/fatty/fried food, spicy food, alcohol, smoking, carbonated drinks, caffeine, hot beverages, etc.

The frothy/foamy stools are usually a sign of lactose intolerance. Are your stools foul-smelling? What color are they sir? If your stools are of diffetent color or consistency, you might have to visit a doctor for a stool analysis.

Wishing you the best.