Diagnosed with dypsnea and acute bronchitis. X rays and blood work are normal. Could it be a vocal chord problem?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2014
Apr 2014
Excellent

Radiologist
Question
I have been diagnosed with dypsnea and acute bronchitis (viral) yet I have no cough. Does that make sense? An inhaler doesn't do anything. I'm very tired, sometimes not too coherent and have labored breathing. My job requires me to talk on the phone and be on the computer all day, and I can't do this for more than a few minutes worth of talking and a couple hours on the computer. Been out of work two weeks and gong into my third. Doctor said I could go back in a week, but I don't seem to be progressing. Also a sinus infection is clearing up. All xrays and bloodwork are fine. A little something in the lung lining on a ct scan and at first the doctor said I had pneumonia and gave me the antibiotic, which didn't help, but caused me to have insomnia, so he gave me a sleeping pill. I haven't taken it very often, maybe 3 times. Have taken full dose of antibiotic and am through with it. Been sick since Oct 1 starting with fatigue and losing my voice (no sore throat). Am 59 yrs old. Could it be a vocal chord problem? I have had Gerd, and did have a bad episode of acid reflux one night about 7-8 weeks ago. Woke up coughing. My doctor referred me to a pulmonologist next week.
Posted Thu, 21 Nov 2013 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Your doctor has rightly referred to pulmonologist. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX You doctor has given you right advice to consult pulmonologist.You also need screening from ENT and cardiac specialist. Dyspnea may be due to many reasons.It may be due to lung or cardiac causes. You need proper clinical examination and investigations. Further investigations include pulmonary function test,assessing cardiac status as compromised cardiac status also causes dyspnea. Treatment can be done after proper clinical examination and investigation reports. Cough may also be due to allergic reasons.You have mentioned about inhaler.You didn't mentioned whether it was bronchodilator or steriod. You need steroid inhaler. Take regular medicines for GERD.It also causes pulmonary symptoms. Get well soon Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Diagnosed with dypsnea and acute bronchitis. X rays and blood work are normal. Could it be a vocal chord problem? 3 hours later
Hi Dr. XXXXXXX Thank you for your response. I used the albuterol sulfate inhaler, but it didn't seem to do anything. I had an EKG and it was fine. Is that a good enough cardiac test? I haven't had a cough. Should I see the pulmonologist first since he can look into my esophagus? What is a medicine for GERD? What if I just don't eat before laying down? All these tests were normal when I went to the ER on 10/28. I also had body shaking (like anxiety attack) 3 times during this month long ordeal. I already have essential tremor. CBC w Auto Diff Troponin-I CMP D-Dimer Lipase Abdominal sonogram US Abdomen RUQ Chest PA and Lat Chest X ray EKG

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 12 hours later
Brief Answer: You should consult pulmonologist first. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX Besides EKG and cardiac markers that you have mentioned,you need few more investigations like RBS,LFT,Lipid profile,RFT,ECHO.Further investigations can be done if needed. You should consult pulmonologist first.You need proper evaluation of respiratory system.You may need steroid inhaler. Proton pump inhibitors like tablet pantoprazole 40 mg with domperidone 10 mg combination twice daily is given for GERD. You shouldn't sleep immediately after dinner.You should complete dinner before one hour of your sleep time. You can consult psychiatrist for anxiety attack and tremor. Get well soon Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX