Diagnosed with diabetes but not under medication. Have abnormal FBS level. How to control it?

Hi doctor, I was diagnosied with pre-diabetes 5 months back. I consulted diabebologist and since the BS level were no too High, he didn't put me under medication but I am under diabetes diet and walking daily 3 KM. But in the last 2 test the FBS is abnormal and PPBS is normal. 1st test done on 10 weeks back FBS 120 and PPBS 134 and second test last week shows FBS 134 and PPBS 140. Is ther any issue. Why FBS is abnornal, what Should I do to control FBS?
Posted Mon, 2 Dec 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: Get Glycosylated hemoglobin test done Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX I have read your query. Yes, you are in the pre-diabetes stage. To understand the situation better, I suggest you to get your Glycosylated Hemoglobin (HbA1C) test done. This will tell us the state of your blood sugar levels in the last few months more accurately. If the HbA1C is more than 6.5, then it is sure diabetes, and you have to start the medications. If it is less than 6.5, you have to continue exercise and diet changes. Coming to your question: Why FBS is abnornal? - It varies. In some people, only FBS varies and PPBS remains normal. Every individual responds differently to the test. Your PPBS is normal because you may be eating a normal calorie food. Your FBS is high because of high sugars in the fasting state. This is expected, it is not unusual. what Should I do to control FBS? - Initially try exercise and diet changes. Repeat the test after 3 months. If it is still high, you can start oral tablets. Hope this helps you. take care!
Follow-up: Diagnosed with diabetes but not under medication. Have abnormal FBS level. How to control it? 1 hour later
Doctor, Thanks for the quick reply.. I did HbA1C 4 months back and it was 167 and at the same time my day's level were normal. Then doctor ask me continue without medication. OK.
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 1 hour later
Brief Answer: please recheck the HbA1C level Detailed Answer: Hi, HbA1c level cannot be 167. Was it 1.67? Please recheck the test value and let me know. Less than 6.5 is normal, more than 6.5 is diabetes.