Diagnosed with cyst in kidney after ultrasound. Have UTI. Cyst slightly exophytic. Can this lead to cancer? Should I be concerned?

Dec 2012

Over a year ago I was diagnosed through ultrasound as having an unremarkable cyst in mid lateral of my left kidney. Months prior to that diagnosis I had a difficult UTI that required a urologist to treat. 2 months ago a follow up ultrasound was done in where the left kidney now displayed a dromedary hump (no mention of cyst in the radiologist report). I had another follow up ultrasound done this week as a comparison and it was indicated that the cyst was slightly exophytic and a 1.5 nearly anechoic lesion was diagnosed instead. possibly due to debri filled/ slightly exophytic cyst. Follow up testing suggested in 6 months, Should I be more active in pursuing more in-depth testing now instead of waiting that long? Don't want anything advancing to cancer and would like more answers about it. Should I be concerned?
Posted Wed, 9 Oct 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
A cyst will hardly advanced to cancer

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

Let me reassure you that a cyst will hardly or never advance to a cancer and if cancer develops it will probably not be due to the kidney cyst. Having kidney cysts could be a risk factor for malignancy.
As regarding follow-ups you might require doing more of kidney function tests and follow-up ultrasounds or scans as scheduled. Now that the cyst is growing outwardly it might be that it is filled with blood probably due to vessels inside the cysts rupturing or like you said debri-filled. It is true that a single kidney cyst is often harmless but when they become multiple i.e polycystic kidney diseases, then it is bad as the complication is kidney failure or end-stage kidney diseases.
You will require doing more often tests such as kidney function (serum creatinie, urea), urinalysis, BUN, serum electrolyes etc. Your doctor is better placed to be able to evaluate the situation and indicate which tests to do and when.

Hope this helps and wish you the best
Dr. Nsah