Diagnosed with cylindrical power. Is there any risk of doing dilation for testing? Any alternate methods?

My son have a cylindrical power diagonised during a eye test campaign in our area. He is 6 yrs old, and offlate complains about not able to read the board from the back bench in the class room. He was not attentive in class. During the age 3+, in the preschool and LKG, he was doing well and we dont remember of any such complaints..(or do not know).

The test results printout (taken during a site camp) show (R) S +1.12, C -4.5 (L) S+1.12 , C-4.25 Technician advised to XXXXXXX doctor.
Consulted the dr. yesterday, his assistant did some tests, and doctor advised to dilate the eye. As he cannot go to class after dilation, we plan to do this by coming weekend.
I am using spectcle for two years from age 41, for reading purpose only. My Wife using glasses for driving purpose (prob. for far view) since age 30. Not using for reading . My Son had chikcen Pox 1.5 years back.

My questions are
1. Is there any risk of doing dilation for testing? At this age we dont know of any alergies he may have.
2. WIll this power be increasing by the age, and is there a risk, that this goes out of control and not correctable?, What precautions can be taken to bring this in control
2. My son has been playing on the Computer , even though we try to restrict, this has been a habit for aprox. 1 year. has this been a cause? if so can this be normalised back?
3. Any alternate methods to bring back to normal, or atleast to keep steady withou worsening?

Thank you in advance for your advices
Posted Mon, 30 Jul 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 47 minutes later
Hello there,

Thanks for writing in.

1. As such there is no risk for dilating the pupils, although the vision may seem blurred for about half an hour to one hour after application. It will return to normal after the effect of medicine has worn out. Allergy is possible with any allopathic drug,however it is rare to get an allergic reaction to eye drops, though not impossible.

2.Follow the ophthalmologist's orders as ,yes, if not treated at the right time, the power could increase with age.

3.Limit computer and TV viewing together for a total period of only 2 hours per day. Maintain considerable distance while viewing. Encourage him to blink his eyes while watching TV/playing computers. Most children in their excitement / or are so engrossed in the viewing content that they sometimes forget to blink, which leads to added strain on the eye.

4. I would suggest you give your son, plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Especially spinach, drumstick leaves,carrots,etc, which are very good for the eyes.

I hope I have answered your queries.I will be happy to answer any further queries you might have.

In case you don't have any further queries,please accept my answer.Any reviews are welcome.

Have a great day.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan