Diagnosed with chlamydia. Any effect on fertility? What treatment should be done?

Recently diagnosed with Chlaymidia, haven't been active for 2.5 years. Receive unprotected oral. I took 1 gram of azythromycine,how long to work. Also,what is the likehood that cannot have children due to this? i.e sterility I should mention that I am a bit of hypchondriac so what I am experiencing good be in my head. Here is quick example of my hypochondria. I struggled with gerd for 1.5 years and soon as I had a scope and was told everything was fine and my syptoms went away.
Posted Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 27 hours later

Thank you for your query.

Treatment for chlamydia includes: single dose of azithromycin 1 gm (which you have taken) or one week of doxycycline. Following antibiotic therapy, the infection should clear up within a week (7-10 days). Please refrain from any sexual contact (vaginal or oral) for this duration.

Chances of infertility are slim and close to non-existent. Sterility is only seen in untreated individuals who experience the complication called epididymitis. Even in individuals with epididymitis, infertility is less commonly seen.

I am sure your infection will clear up, as almost all individuals treated with this course of antibiotics have achieved complete recovery. Feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications. I would be glad to help.

Best wishes.
Follow-up: Diagnosed with chlamydia. Any effect on fertility? What treatment should be done? 16 hours later
Thank you Dr. for answering my query.

I called a nursing hotline and they said fertility was a complication. This took my mind to the worse case scenario. I know now that the worse case is not likely.

Thanks again

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 19 minutes later

Thank you for your response.

As mentioned earlier, epididymitis (symptoms of fever, chills, heavy testicle, scrotal swelling, lower abdominal discomfort, etc) is the only complication that could cause infertility. As long as you have not experienced this, you are safe.

Wishing you a speedy recovery and good health thereafter.

Best wishes.
Follow-up: Diagnosed with chlamydia. Any effect on fertility? What treatment should be done? 2 days later

I know weather doesn't cause sickness,but I am on the East Coast and I have a terrible cold. I seem experience a random chill,why? I also get this when I drink a cold soda (not every single time)

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 17 minutes later
Hello. Thank you for your query.

Flu-like symptoms can be associated with many conditions like: hypersensitivity reactions (allergies-mainly dust or pollen), these can be treated by first identifying the allergen and then avoiding contact; or with antihistamine medication. Chills are not associated with this.

Other conditions associated with chills will require a thorough blood work and examination by a doctor; they include malaria, dengue, influenza, tonsillitis, pneumonia, liver disorders, kidney disorders, etc.

If you feel that your condition is not related to a hypersensitivity reaction, it would be best for you to visit a doctor for an evaluation.

Hope your Chlamydia is clearing up. Wishing you good health.

Best wishes.