Diagnosed with bladder cancer. Noticed blood in urine. Should I consult a doctor?

My father was recently diagonosed with bladder cancer his age 83. 1 week ago he had a scraping procedure to make sure it was cancer for sure. It was. One of his symptoms has been blood in his urine but tonight it is much more red "scarlet" was his description. Should he go to the emergency room or is this not unusual?

Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 49 minutes later

It is a very common complication seen in patients with bladder cancer post biopsy, to have blood in the urine.

If the bleeding is transient and stops after a single episode, there is no need to worry. If the bleeding continues or is intermittent then there is need for him to undergo bladder irrigation. You may have to take him to the hospital for the same. Do ask your father to observe the color of the urine and inform if there is any pain in the lower abdomen, these could be the signs of active bleeding from the biopsy site.

Hope I answered your query.

Please do let me if there are any other concerns.