Diagnosed with asthma but condition sound like emphysema.

My doctor has diagnosed me with asthma but at least three separate people have said it sounded more like Emphasymia to them. I am a 64 year old male!
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Diagnosing asthma is mainly a clinical diagnosis characterized by wheezing, shortness of breath acute in onset with a history of such repeated episodes. Person may have decreased oxygenation of blood.

Emphysema is mainly diagnosed on an X-ray showing hyperlucent lung fields, flattened domes of diaphragms, tubular heart shadow. Person breathes in short steps but the blood oxygenation is maintained. There is no cyanosis.

You need toinvestigate further with relevant tests like spirometry, x-ray/CT scan of lung to differentially diagnose the two problems under the guidance of your pulmonologist.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.