Diagnosed with arthritis and spondylothesis. Getting pain below rib. What is the cause and cure?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
bottom left rib in back tender to touch..going on for 18 months...diagnosed with arthritis and spondylothesis...back pain while all started when i was doing twisting and bending exercises ...18 months ago...when i message area seems to relieve it only to have it come back.soreness when i twist or turn to the left side...all blood test were normal
Posted Sun, 24 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The pain in the bottom left rib could be due to a muscle spasm or costochondritis. Most of the times a local inflammation is present. It can be due to pulled and strained intercostal muscles.
You need to get a x-ray or preferably a MRI scan of the area done which can locate soft tissue injuries very easily. Apply some cold compresses by wrapping ice in a towel and take some anti inflammatory pain killer like ibuprofen and paracetamol (acetaminophen) after consulting your general physician.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Diagnosed with arthritis and spondylothesis. Getting pain below rib. What is the cause and cure? 9 minutes later
its going on a very long time...advil does help...when i lay on my left side hurts when i get up..not pain just soreness...advil does help..2x per day..can a muscle spasm last this long??? i said when i message that area under back left rib it eases the soreness...
can intercoastel muscles take this long to completly heal???
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 30 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Since 18 months is a long time for a muscle sprain to heal, it is best to get an MRI scan of the area done to rule out other inflammatory pathologies.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.