Ask a Urologist   »  

Diagnosed with UTI. Cannot stay awake. Anything wrong?

May 2014

I have been diagnosed with a UTI because they couldn't test my urine for blood to rule out a kidney infection. I can barely stay awake, what is wrong with me?
Posted Tue, 5 Nov 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Further details please

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

Diagnosis of UTI (like burning during urination, inability to hold urine, passing dark colored urine and some may have a dull loin pain with fever.

UTI involve the lower areas like bladder and urethra commonly but less commonly, the kidneys can also get involved.

A urine culture and sensitivity test confirms the presence of bacteria in urine and can direct treatment options with antibiotics.

An ultrasound scan of kidneys and bladder can tell us if there is any structural changes in appearance of kidneys/ bladder and if the bladder is getting emptied completely after passing urine.

I would like to know what are your exact problems at the moment and since how long you have been suffering? Have you got any of the features like pain, fever, passing dark urine? Any medications that you have taken or are taking?

In the mean while please drink lots of fluids and visit the washroom often. This will flush the bacteria out of your system.

Waiting for an update from your end.