Diagnosed with Sjogrens and Rheumatoid Arthritis. Lost sense of taste and smell. Suggest?

Hi my name is XXXXXXX I am a 58yr old Irish man I was diagnosed with Sjogrens in 2000 and rheumatoid arthritis in 2006. I lost my sense of taste very early and have recently lost my sense of smell and Im finding life very difficult and depressing! is there any help to alleviate this symptom?
Posted Thu, 19 Sep 2013 in Lupus
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Biologics like Rituximab.

Detailed Answer:
The treatment of sjogrens involves local measures to improve the dryness or certain medicines like pilocarpine and cevemiline.
Apart from that nothing as yet is approved for the treatment of sjogrens.
However certain new drugs called biologics are being used for these disease.
The one most widely used is called rituximab.
This medicine is given as an infusion and may have to be repeated if there is improvement in symptoms.
This medication may be used, you will have to discuss it with your local rheumatologist for the same.

I hope this helped. Let me know if I can assist you further.