Diagnosed with Pars defect. Did physical therapy. Suggested CT scan normal. Having back pain. What to do?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My son had a bone scan in january and was diagnosed with a pars defect so he wore a backbrace for 3 months and before that did physical therapy. Just recently we had a cat scan and the neurosurgeon said he could not see any pars defect and everything looked normal. But my 14 year old son is still having back pain so i dont know what else to do! Can you help i am desperate
Posted Sun, 4 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 36 minutes later
Pars defect is caused by repetitive strain to the lumbar section of the vertebra and can be seen in athletes of sports involving extension and rotation of the back.
It can be best diagnosed by a bone scan and an MRI scan. CAT scan is not sensitive enough to detect the minor defects in the bone growth or fracture.
Since the back pain is persistent even after 3 months of treatment it is best to get a repeat bone scan or MRI of the back done for proper diagnosis.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.