Diagnosed with IBS and taking Dothep. Advised to take Metamucil for diarrhoea. Not having diarrhoea problem. Is it safe to take?

I was diagnosed with IBS quite a number of years ago. I have had some relief over the last 3 years by taking Dothep which was prescribed by my GP. Today he advised me to take Metamucil to assist in the relief of diarrhoea - everything I have read says this is to relieve Constipation - I do not have that problem. I may need to go to the toilet up to 4 times per day. As long as the stool is formed I am happy. By taking Metamucil won't this induce diarrhoea, seeing that most times my stool is "formed"?
Posted Wed, 30 Oct 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 3 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Yes it is a possibility that metamucil may induce diarrhoea.
What you can try is taking a plain isapgula. It is a fiber supplement and may relieve your symptoms.

Other option is to try with lower than prescribed doses of metamucil and increase to prescribed doses if you feel comfortable over 3 to 4 days.

Hope this answers your query.

Happy to help.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with IBS and taking Dothep. Advised to take Metamucil for diarrhoea. Not having diarrhoea problem. Is it safe to take? 12 hours later
Hello - thank you for your assistance.

I have already decided to start with less than recommended dosage to start with for about 3 or 4 days so it is good to see that I will be following "doctor's advice".
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
right decision taken

Detailed Answer:
Hello Madam,
I think it was a correct decision to step up the doses slowly over 3 to 4 days till you reach the prescribed doses.

In case you develop diarrhea in between then can reduce to previously tolerated dose and continue with the same.

Best wishes..