Diagnosed with Hyperparathyroidism. Suggest

have just been diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism
Posted Thu, 5 Dec 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Need more details ma'm Detailed Answer: Dear Ma'm, hyperparathyroidism can be primary or secondary even tertiary. so you must tell me your PTH value along with your serum calcium and serum phosphorus values. also serum creatinine. Regards!
Follow-up: Diagnosed with Hyperparathyroidism. Suggest 9 hours later
my calcium level is 11.1 and pth is 5 i dont have the phosphorus values in my possion yet.i am a retired nurse and do know the importance of all the labs but you also know when we get online to ask these questions we are given the bare reading by our physician.i also have severe osteoporis,-3.4 in both hips,have had a hip replacemeny at age 62 due to a fall in my kitchen.i feel as if my thoart at times is going to close up,i know it isnt but that is the feeling it presents.the right side of my thoart has the achy feel to it and is tender to touch.i itch at night so bad i take benadryl to help with it. ok so im still waiting for an answer. if thisis the way the site answers questions then i dont need to spend any more money on the site. i have not got a straight forwrd answer yet,just more questions.
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 15 hours later
Brief Answer: Sorry for the delay. Detailed Answer: Dear Ma'm , Hi! few things before answering your queries. 1. sorry for the delay. you are a health professional so you can understand, doctors cannot be online for 24 hours. 2. MD and RN do take history. history taking is the most important part of diagnosis and treatment. if you are sitting in front of the doctor he or she will ask you many more things than what you tell them, so please understand the importance of specific questions posted. now coming to your query. serum calcium 11.1 is definitely high but PTH 5 is not considered high. Either you have written a wrong value or the reference range is different. now as you are severely osteoporotic as well, this again must be due to hyperparathyroidism . what you need is sestamibi scan for parathyroid to find out whether you have parathyroid hyperplasia or parathyroid adenoma. According to the findings on this a diagnosis would be made and will be operated upon. Follow up treatment will also depend upon the diagnosis. Regards! sorry again for the delay, I know you will understand.
Follow-up: Diagnosed with Hyperparathyroidism. Suggest 15 hours later
im sorry the lab gave me the wrong level on the pth and my calcium level has now increased. the calcium level is 11.4 now and the right pth level is 65.1. a apoligize for my rudeness since it was my misunderstanding to begin with. so with those levels do you think i have the right diagnosis from my family physician. i am scheduled for a visit on the 12 of dec. with an endo. specialist
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Primary hyperparathyroidism. Detailed Answer: Dear Ma'm Hi! yes your diagnosis seems to be right. you have primary hyperparathyroidism. you must undergo sestamibi scan as I told you earlier and further line of action will depend upon that. Regards, all the best.