Diagnosed with High Grade Infiltrated Ductal Carcinoma. Had pathology report of Estrogen receptor. Findings?

I have been diagnosed with High Grade Infiltrated Ductal Carcinoma. On the pathology report the results of the Estrogen Receptor Positive/Negative the results came back Low to Medium Positivity (30% of nuclei). What does that mean?
Posted Tue, 13 Aug 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 8 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

Graph I can trust that you're dealing with a very stressful situation and are trying to understand fully the results of the testing and biopsy report. Usually the report will indicate how positive the estrogen receptor is as well as how positive the progesterone receptor is. From the information you have sent it appears that both of these receptors are positive at 30%.

What this means is that 30% of the cancer cells have receptors for hormones including estrogen and progesterone. The reason why this is important is because with positivity of these receptors this will allow your oncologist to utilize endocrine or hormonal therapy in the process of treating the cancer.

It is also important for your doctor to review additional results including the size of the cancer as well as result of any lymph node biopsies. Most likely your doctor will consider utilizing not only hormonal therapy but also radiation and potentially chemotherapy.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional specific concerns.

Dr. Galamaga