Diagnosed with Hemochromatosis. Have dull pain rig cage. Cure?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
Question
hi im a 47 female just after been diagnosed with hemocroticis i have this dull pain in my right rib cage since yesterday is this part of my diagnosis
Posted Sun, 23 Jun 2013 in Blood Disorders

Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 2 hours later
Thanks for writing your query.
I presume you were diagnosed with Hemochromatosis, is it not?

Hemochromatosis is a condition in which excessive iron is accumulated in the organs including liver.

Liver is situated in the upper right side of abdomen. Pain in this area can be due to inflammation in the liver. You should get an Ultrasound of the abdomen done to rule out any abnormality like cirrhosis in the liver(can be seen in hemochromatosis).

Pain in upper abdomen can also be due to excessive acidity and gas formation.
You can take antacid like Omeprazole 20 mg once a day before meals for relief.

You should also follow some precautions like :-
1. Avoid spicy/oily foods.
2. Do not miss a meal.
3. Drink lots of pure water.
4. Do not self medicate, especially with pain killers and steroids.
5. Avoid smoking/alcohol, if any.

I would also like to suggest you that you should get yourself clinically examined before starting any medication.

I hope this is helpful to you.
If you have any further queries, I will be happy to help.
Regards. Thanks.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with Hemochromatosis. Have dull pain rig cage. Cure? 24 minutes later
Thanks for your reply its much appreciated, Yes its Hemochromatosis , I dont eat spicy foods I have 3 meals a day I always drink water I dont smoke or take alcohol and im not a person for taking painkillers or any medication only if its prescribed, I do have a few other symptoms i have pain in 2 of my fingers in my right hand and is swollen i also have pain in my right shoulder to

Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 4 hours later

Thanks for providing more information.

Pain in the finger and shoulder does not seem to be related. This type of pain is generally not associated with any serious organic medical problem.

Based on all the details provided, I would like to still suggest that you should get yourself clinically examined and investigated by an ultrasound abdomen.
Also get your blood investigated for :-
1. Liver Function Test(LFT).
2. Complete Blood Count(CBC).

You can start the antacid and Omeprazole as advised after getting yourself clinically examined.

I hope this answers your query.

Follow-up: Diagnosed with Hemochromatosis. Have dull pain rig cage. Cure? 5 hours later
Thanks so much for this,I will get into my GP on Tuesday as Monday is a bank holiday

Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 12 hours later

Thanks for your response.

Please let me know the result of your investigations.
I wish you good health.

Regards.
Thanks.