Diagnosed with C5-C6 small right para central disc herniation of protrusion type through MRI. Explain the findings from MRI

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
I was involved in an accident in 2009 in which I was diagnosed through an MRI with C5-C6 "shallow right paracentral disc protrusion which mildly impinges on the right thecal sac without cord compression. The impression was: shallow disc herniation at C5-C6. No cord compression.
Unforntunately, I was involved in another accident in XXXXXXX of 2010 which exacerbated a lot of the pain. I had an MRI done again and it said, C5-C6 "small right paracentral disc herniation of the protrusion type. the right ventral nerve root comes in close promisity to disc herniation. Clinical correlation advised for a regional radiculitis. Impression: right paracentral disc herniation of the protrusion type at C5-C6. I have chronic neck pain as a result. Do the findings of the 2nd MRI show a change and if so, can you please explain it to me? Thank you, April
Posted Thu, 14 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There is no significant change between the MRI

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query.

I have gone through both the MRI cervical spine reports, and would like to reassure you that there is no significant change between the two. Also, it does not show any serious problem. There is a mild disc bulge in the neck, but is not causing any significant compression of the nerve or the spinal cord in that region.

At this stage, you do not require surgery.

You would benefit from medications such as pregabalin or gabapentin capsules, and physiotherapy (IFT, ultrasound, neck exercises, etc).

I hope it helps.

Please get back if you require any further information.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
For DIRECT QUERY to me: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My blog: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.com/

Follow-up: Diagnosed with C5-C6 small right para central disc herniation of protrusion type through MRI. Explain the findings from MRI 1 hour later
Thank you for you quick response. I realize there wasn't a significant change. The words "not a significant change" seem to me to be different from "no change whatsoever". Despite the fact that the changes are not significant, can you please explain what the change were no matter how minor. I really appreciate your time.
ttfn,
April

Brief Answer:
My reply is below.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

There could be a minor compression of nerve at C5-6 level but it is not significant as there are no symptoms (arm pain) to suggest that.

In the previous MRI, there was no nerve compression there.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Diagnosed with C5-C6 small right para central disc herniation of protrusion type through MRI. Explain the findings from MRI 6 minutes later
That explains it! I neglected to tell you I do have and have had arm pain. Thank you so much.
ttfn,
April

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thats it

Detailed Answer:
So your arm pain is related to mild nerve compression at C5-6.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)