Diagnosed with Addison's disease. Taking Dexamethasone and cortisone epidural injections. Safe to use both?

Hi, I have just been diagnosed with Addisons' disease and prescribed .5 mg dexamethasone, which may have be be changed. The first couple of doses seem to make me sick. I see an endocrinologist on Wed. I have also been having cortisone epidural injections at intervals and am scheduled for one Tues. Is it safe to continue with both?
Posted Fri, 29 Jun 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 2 hours later

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

Addison's disease occurs when the adrenal glands do not produce enough of the hormone cortisol and, in some cases, the hormone aldosterone.

Treatment of Addison's disease involves replacing, or substituting, the hormones that the adrenal glands are not making. Cortisol is replaced orally with hydrocortisone tablets, a synthetic glucocorticoid, taken once or twice a day. If aldosterone is also deficient, it is replaced with oral doses of a mineralocorticoid called fludrocortisone acetate, which is taken once a day.

Both are corticosteroids chances of interaction are less. It is always better to inform the consulting doctor about your drug history like which drugs you are on and allergic to any drugs.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer