Diagnosed long colon than usual. Found one polyp. What does this indicate?

Gastroenterologist
Question
Hello. I am 57 and had my first full colonoscopy in January 2010. At that time the doctor found just one small polyp and suggested I do another one in 3-4 years. He also said my colon was "longer than usual." I have no immediate relatives who have had any colon cancer. My mother's sister had it and did fine with surgery for removal of a few inches of her colon. My brother is also fine although he has had colitis symptoms off and on for 35 years since he was a teenager.
What does it mean to have a longer than normal colon, and how concerned do I need to be to have colonoscopies every 3-4 years? Thanks.
Posted Sat, 27 Jul 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 55 minutes later
Hello Mr XXXXXXX
Thank you for the query.
Longer colon than usual really means nothing, has no significance.
Some people may have a long redundant sigmoid or transverse colon (sub parts of colon) which have not much clinical significance.
Do not get concerned if you had only a small polyp and need not worry about results of colonoscopy after 3 years.
Hope this answers your query.
Best wishes.

Follow-up: Diagnosed long colon than usual. Found one polyp. What does this indicate? 15 minutes later
Thank you, Dr. Deshmukh. Then in such circumstances how often is proper to be doing a colonscopy? In XXXXXXX they like to claim the need to do it every 4 or 5 years after the age of 50.

Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 18 minutes later
Hi
Thank you for the query.
Actually in presence of a polyp it is reasonable to do it once in 3 years but depends on size of polyp its histological type and whether it was removed completely.
Hope this answers your query,
Best wishes

Follow-up: Diagnosed long colon than usual. Found one polyp. What does this indicate? 23 minutes later
Thank you. He just called it a "small one" and he did remove it completely......

Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 17 hours later
Thank you for the query.
With that description then once in 3 years should be reasonable.
Best wishes.