Diagnosed differentiated squamous cells in tongue. Had radiation therapy and surgery. Ultrasound report showed vascularity. Meaning?

Hi Doctor
Like you have earlier advised me about my mother's health, just repeating for your reference, my mother was diagnosed with poorly differentiated squamous cells in her tongue in November last year. The XXXXXXX nodes were not affected. She underwent a surgery on her tongue and as advised by doctors, she went through 30 radiation sessions. All that is over.
Her doctors examined her in March this and commented that proper healing is happening.
She went for another follow-up check-up this week. SHe had some sort of swelling under the skin on the right side of neck . Her doctor saw her tongue and said that it was healing and everything looks ok there. However, since she showed them the neck swelling, doctor advised her a chest x-ray, an ultrasound of neck region and thyroid test, only for the sake of being sure that there was nothing wrong(malignancy) developing. BY naked eyes, he felt it was okay. The thyroid test result and chest X-ray and blood tests came good.
The ultrasound report however said the following:
Mild XXXXXXX vascularity, no other ominous feature is seen.An enlarged node at level 1B measuring 2 by 1 cm is seen. indistinct hilum seen, no other ominous feature seen. ultrasound shows indeterminate thyroid nodule at left level 1 nodule. FNAC advised.
We went for the FNAC test today, but they were not able to pull out any cell, instead blood was coming out. We have been called again for the FNAC test.

What does all this mean doctor? Do you see something very negative here? Please advise. We are getting mad with negative thoughts. Please suggest what is wrong?

Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Jawahar Ticku 11 hours later

Thanks for posing this question again to me.

Frankly speaking even after completion of treatment and radiotherapy the chances of recurrence either at the site of origin or elsewhere do occur. The node appearing in the neck should be looked as suspicious. Repeat fine needle aspiration is a must to rule out the recurrence . The thyroid nodule could be viewed as a new primary to be ruled out with radio iodine thyroid scan whether it is a cold or hot nodule.

In our practice after completion of the treatment of stage three tongue cancer which your mother was suffering from, we give adjuvant chemotherapy to prevent further recurrence of the tumor.

I can understand your pain and concern but you have to bear with further investigation to rule out the recurrence.

With sympathies,

Dr. J. Ticku