Diagnosed Scrotal Calcinosis. Do the growth come back even after surgery?

My 17 year old son was diagnosed, by a physicians assistant, with Scrotal Calcinosis.
Although it wasn't stated quite this way, he was told by the PA it's something he's going to heave to learn to live with, which I suspect isn't correct.
I've already scheduled him to see a one of the best urologists in our area tomorrow.
I know just from reading on line that surgical intervention is possible. True? Any other interventions work?
If surgery is a possibility, and the growths are removed, do they come back? If yes, then what?
And is this type of surgery typically covered by insurance?
Lots of questions that will, no doubt, be answered by the doc tomorrow, but I'm trying to provide my son with peace of mind ASAP. He's very nervous about all of this, particularly given how the PA chose to discuss this sensitive subject with him.
Any questions you could answer would be most gratefully appreciated. Thank you.
Posted Sat, 9 Nov 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Rogers Nditanchou 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Surgery needed and simply, low recurrence

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

It is very probable that the nodules in scrotal Calcinosis are removed through a surgical intervention. This condition commonly seen in young men is generally treated as such.

I think he needs not be worried about the surgical intervention. For sure its going to be under local anesthesia.

As concerns whether the nodules will come again or not, most patients do not experience, especially if nodules are well removed. Recurrence occurs in a few cases, usually after two years of follow up. there are however modern techniques and medication used that reduce greatly recurrence.

I think he should reassured as concerns in the intensity of the intervention/the importance of the intervention. It is a simple intervention and is the best option for him. Recurrence rates are very low, especially considering current techniques and medications widely available,

I think insurance should cover it. Though some few private insurance companies might refuse. This shall be a decision/policy dependent of the insurance company in question. The opinions are diverse from company to company.

Kind regards as I wish him good health. Feel free asking follow up questions in case you have any specific concerns. thanks and kind regards.

Dr Rogers