Diagnosed PCOS. Delayed periods. On BCPs. Now on Fertomid and Progynova. Continue? Need injections? Is ecosprin recommended?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Hi Doctor

I am a 28yr old woman married for 2 years now. Got diagnosed with PCOS owing to much delayed periods. Was put on BCPs for 3 months to regulate LH FSH. Got regulated after 3 months.
Now, have been put on Fertomid 100mg once a day + Progynova 2mg thrice a day. Started these medicines from Day03. Took Fertomid for 5 days but continuing Progynova till now.

Had my follicular study on Day07 with results as follows :
Endometrium - 5.1mm
Left ovary 4 follicles - 6-8mm
Right ovary 3 follicles - 6-8mm

Repeated follicular monitoring on Day09 with following results:
Endometrium - 5.8mm
Left ovary 4 follicles - 8-10mm
Right ovary 4 follicles - 8-10mm

Is my body responding fine to the medicines? Or would I need injectables? Is ecosprin recommended???

Thanks
Posted Thu, 25 Jul 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 28 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Your endometrial thickness is increasing normally.
Usually one to two dominant follicles can be seen during follicular study after ovulation induction.
But you are having 8 follicles of same size at present.
Possibly with progress of time one or two of then can become dominant and release ovum.
So you have to continue the follicular study to monitor the growth of the follicles.
Once the dominant follicle reaches the sufficient size you can go for HCG injection to induce ovulation if your doctor recommends.
And you have to plan intercourse around the time of ovulation which will increase the possibility of pregnancy.
As you are not having any risk factors no need of ecosprin at present generally.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Diagnosed PCOS. Delayed periods. On BCPs. Now on Fertomid and Progynova. Continue? Need injections? Is ecosprin recommended? 19 minutes later
My LH FSH levels were 11.23 and 7.45 resp'ly after 3 cycles of Ovral-L. Are these good enough to support conception? My doctor thought we could take a chance.

Also, is IUI advisable without trying Timed intercourse? My husband's semen analysis is not too great as per the Doc. Motility is 20% active and 25% sluggish. Sperm count is 75mn. He has been taking CoQ Forte and Lycored for about 35 days now. And he smokes and drinks..sigh!

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later

The normal range of the hormones vary between the labs.
In general your LH and FSH levels are normal.
Your husband sperm count is normal. The normal required overall motility is around 50%. If the sperm count is high then little-bit low motility may not affect the fertility.
But as your husband is continuing smoking and drinking the improvement in the parameters with medicines is somewhat doubtful.
If you want to go for timed intercourse you can go but if that fails, you have to repeat the ovulation induction, follicular study etc.
So you discuss with your doctor and decide.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Diagnosed PCOS. Delayed periods. On BCPs. Now on Fertomid and Progynova. Continue? Need injections? Is ecosprin recommended? 47 hours later
Day 11 results :
Endometrium - 6.2mm

Right ovary follicles - 8-10mm with 8mm ones becoming 9mm and 9mm becoming 10mm. 10mm not growing.

Left ovary follicles - 8-10mm with 8mm ones becoming 9mm and 9mm becoming 10mm. 10mm not growing.

Are these fine? Do i need to up my medicines?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 56 minutes later

There is improvement in the thickness of endometrium and size of the follicles.
As such the growth is somewhat low but possibly dominant follicle may develop from one of these follicles.
So wait and watch.
You can continue the medicines prescribed to you.
Don't take tension regarding these issues, mental strain can also affect the hormonal levels.