Diabetic, wants to take jalra m 50/500 and amaryl twice a day. Correct dosage ?

Endocrinologist
Question
My Doc has prescribed to take Jalra m 50/500 before lunch and dinner.
Also Amaryl 2mg before breakfast and before bedtime.. Is this in order.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. V. Kumaravel 5 hours later

I do understand that you are suffering from Diabetes and have been prescribed with antidiabetic medication.

The most important aspect in Diabetes management is your diet, excercise and then comes your medications. The ultimate goal being blood sugar control (FBS, PPBS and HBA1c) and prevention of Diabetes complication.

Jalra M is a combination of Vidagliptin and Metformin that has to be taken twice a day. Amaryl is Glimeperide that will help to increase your insulin secretion, that can be taken once or rarely twice a day. All these drugs have different mechanism of action to bring down your blood sugars.

You can combine these medications, as long as you tolerate the combination and your sugars are under control. If still your sugars are high then you may require insulin.

Hope this answers your query. I will be available for follow up queries if any.

Regards.