Diabetic, traveling. Taking insulin. Fasting sugar level more. Advise to take or not glysophage?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am a diabetic patient under control through Hum insulin 30/70.
I am on tour on train , therefore not in a position to inject insulin in my body for last 2 days,but could
administered Galvus Met 50/1000 daily once.
to day i checked through glucose meter fasting sugar level and the result appeared 386.
Could please advice whether i can take glyciphage G 2 in lieu of insulin.
Your advice will be of much value to us
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 20 minutes later

Fasting blood glucose of 386 is very high.
Oral hypoglycemic drug like ‘Glyciphage’ are not likely to control such elevated blood glucose levels.

It is best to continue taking Human insulin which you can get yourself injected at the railway pharmacy as per your doctor's prescription. Also, do consult a physician for proper treatment to control your blood glucose levels once you reach your destination.

I hope this answers your query effectively. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Diabetic, traveling. Taking insulin. Fasting sugar level more. Advise to take or not glysophage? 3 hours later
I expected the answer from a doctor specialized in medicine or diabetes but surprised to see the doctor is specialized in orthopedic .
Please therefore render proper service as you are highlighting in your web site.
There are few relevant answer missing like should i continue with Galvus met what shall be steps to decrease sugar level on this scenario.
Truly i am not satisfied.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

The opinion we provide is purely based on availability of a doctor at that particular time.
If you wish to have a general physician's specific views you can opt for 'Ask A Specialist' package where a Specialist Physician will answer.

Hope you understand our point of view.

You can continue taking Galvus met as prescribed by your physician but it alone will not be able to control your blood glucose levels adequately. Right now it seems that there is no substitute for human insulin for rapid and effective blood glucose control.

I have taken a curbside consult from a Diabetologist in my group.

He agrees with my advice too and has given the same treatment options. So do not worry.

Write back if you have further queries. Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.