Diabetic, taking Novolog & Glargine. Chances of having resistance?

Dec 2012

Am adult onset Type I Diabetic. Well controlled on Novolog & Glargine. Recently Glargine does not seem to be working as it has in the past. Is it possible to develop resistance to Lantus or is there a history of loss of effectiveness over time?
Posted Sat, 17 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

Thanks for posting,

Resistance to injection insulin (lantus/insulin glardin) is extremely rare. You will first of all need to consider dosage first before thinking of resistance. Maybe if your doctor increase the dosage of glardine, then your diabetes might be able to be controlled. Also, it is possible too that with increasing age, you might have developed Type II Diabetes which will require other forms of treatment rather than the one you have been on through out your life.
It will be best to discuss this with your treating physician and he can then establish a much more recent recommendation for you.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah
Follow-up: Diabetic, taking Novolog & Glargine. Chances of having resistance? 1 hour later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX I had considered Type II or 1.5 a as I have heard it called. I appreciate your time.
XXXXXXX Salveson
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 8 minutes later

You are welcome and wish you the best and a better health.

Dr. Nsah