Diabetic, on Rx, want to know co relation between pulse rate & blood sugar level, desired blood glucose in fasting & PPBs for a diabetic?

Question
Hi, whats the correlation between pulse rate and blood sugar levels...I find when blood sugar goes baove 150, pulse rate increases upto 100. I have cross checked many times with Glucometer and when ever my pulse is between 70 and 80, my blood sugar levels are below 140. I am a diabetic for past 4 years on Rx
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Diabetes
Follow-up: Diabetic, on Rx, want to know co relation between pulse rate & blood sugar level, desired blood glucose in fasting & PPBs for a diabetic? 2 minutes later
Whats the desired level of blood glucose levels 9fasting and PPBS) FOR A DIABETIC on Rx, although I know FBS desirable less than 90 mg% for normal people..Also is Glycosylated HB upto 7.5% safe in Diabetics?

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 4 hours later

“There is no relation/correlation between pulse rate and blood glucose levels normally”. Patients with very low Blood Glucose levels (<60 mg/dl) can have high pulse rate due to sympathetic response. In a specific syndrome known as dumping syndrome high blood glucose levels are sometimes associated with high pulse rate.

So your observation appears to be flawed and needs to be verified scientifically. Moreover Blood Glucose values fluctuate between 80 -180mg/dl even in non diabetic individuals during the course of the day.

Regarding the second part of the question - there are 2 guidelines which are followed worldwide for ‘glycemic target’ in diabetics. The second one is more commonly followed.
1.     American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists guidelines is FBS< 110mg/dl, PPBS<140 mg/dl, HbA1C <6.5%.
2.     American Diabetes Association guidelines is FBS < 130 mg/dl, PPBS < 180 mg/dl, HbA1c <7%.

Hope this answers your question. If you have any further queries, I will be available to answer them. Please accept my answer if you do not have any further queries.