Diabetic, have high blood pressure. Diagnosed with panic disorder. Test showed high calcium level. Concerned

Hi, I am a 49 year old woman, post menapausal. I am diabetic, have high blood pressure and have been diagonsed with panic disorder all of which I currently have under good control. Up unitl 2 years ago, I had not seen a doctor on a regular basis for about 15 years. I just had a check up with a good XXXXXXX of health. However, back in april, because I was experiencing leg cramps at night, my doctor ordered some blood tests. My Calcium at the time time came up as 10.4 which was right under their quidlines for being too high. In August he checked it again it was now 10.5 and showing as high. two weeks later her ordered a PTH that came back at 24( Normal) but my calcuim was now 11.2. My Doctor does not seem too concerned about it but what bothers me is who knows how long it's been running high? I really don't feel well most the time. I am tired, my joints and muscles hurt most days and my Dr. basically attributes this to my anxiety disorder. So my question is, is the high calcium something I should be concerned about and what could it be?

Thank you,
Posted Tue, 6 Nov 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 2 hours later

At this stage, it would be best if we just wait and watch and the monitor the levels. If they cross 12 mg/dL, there is definite cause of concern and we would need a proper evaluation.

The normal calcium levels are 8.5-10.5 mg/dl. The level that you had is mildly high which are mostly ignored. The hypercalcemia is usually asymptomatic until the rise is more than 12 mg/dl. The symptoms include confusion, bone pains, weight loss, anxiety and depression, renal stones, loss of appetite, pathological fractures.
The most common causes of hypercalcemia include hyperparathyroidism which you already had normal reports and hypervitaminosis D which can measured from serum vitamin D levels. other causes includes hyperthyroidism, renal failure, increased calcium intake like milk alkali syndrome, a condition having increased calcium absorption due to increased intake, and some cancers like breast cancer, lung cancer and multiple myeloma.
Meanwhile reduce you dietary calcium if you’re taking any.

Let me know if you have any more concerns.