Diabetic and have hypertension. Taking medication. Urinating frequently at night. Advise?

Hello Doctor,
I am diabetic since 7 years and have hypertension. I am taking the following medicines past one month:
1. Metffil G2 twice daily
2. Metolar Am 50 mg twice daily
3. Ecosporin Av 75 once a day
My FBS is more than 220 and today it was 261.
Offlate iam urinating 3to4 times at night which was not the case ealrier.
Earlier I was taking:
Glycomet 1000 mg 2 times
Blsito 1 mg in morning
Blist 2mg at night
Covance 50 mg twice a day
Metolar XR 50 mg twice a day
My FBS was 102 and ppbs was 104 Gycocelated Hemoglobin showed 5.3 4 weeks ago
Kindly advice.
I have misplaced my reports and unable to upload.
Posted Mon, 16 Sep 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Better sugar control might be required

Detailed Answer:
There is a strong likelihood of your urinary frequency improving with increased blood sugar control. As of now, it is obviously not good, and you need to get it back to an extent where fasting levels are below 140 mg%. You might have to consult the doctor who is taking care of blood sugars and indicate that the previous medication helped you and ask if you can go back to that regimen.
In view of the fact that you are over 50 years of age, I also suggest that you get a screening for your prostate done. This is easily accomplished by means of an ultrasound of prostate and an estimate of your post void residual urine. A urologist will also do a digital rectal examination for estimation of size and nature of prostate.Some urologists also ask for a test called Prostate Specific Antigen in males over the age of 50 years but this recommendation is fraught with controversy and at this point I suggest you keep it in mind and discuss with your urologist when he does the rectal examination.
You can also get a test called Uroflowmetry for future referral. This will indicate if any factor other than high sugar levels are causing you to pass urine more frequently like an enlarged prostate with obstruction with incomplete voiding. and get it done only if you are having significant trouble despite adequate sugar control.
Hope I have been able to help you.
Let me know your progress and attach any reports of scan so I might be able to give you a better opinion.