Diabetic and had pregnancy. Ultrasound showed thick endometrium. What does it mean?

I am 36 years old. My last menstrual period began on may 11th. I recently had a Pap smear. Still waiting on the results. I asked for a ultrasound just to make sure eveything looked okay. I had the US today and the technician said that she couldn't really tell me anything except that I have a really think endometrium. So what exactly could that mean? I have had one successful pregnancy 14 years ago and I am also a type 1 diabetic and I have a very normal 28 day cycle.
Posted Mon, 24 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
Hello ma'am and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

I understand your curiosity, as the technician would not know the conditions that can cause the endometrial lining to thicken, I shall inform you about these. The possible conditions can vary, they are:
-Menstruation (during which the endomterium thickens, then sheds after the period, and is then back to its normal state)
-Endometriosis (but will usually have severe lower abdominal and pelvic pain)
-Fibroid uterus (non-cancerous growth in the uterus)
-Polyp uterus (mass in the uterus)
-Endometrial hyperplasia (high levels of a hormone called estrogen can cause this. So it is seen in women with medical conditions like polycystic ovarian syndrome, etc; women on estrogen supplemental therapy, etc.)
-Endometrial cancer (rare)

In my opinion, I would advise pregnancy to be ruled out and a repeat transvaginal ultrasound in 7-14 days. If the endometrium is still thickened, then a biopsy can also be conducted, to find the cause.

Do not worry ma'am, the thickening of endomterium can be a normal process as well, and usually subsides with time. I hope this information helps. Please write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always available to help.

Best wishes.