Diabetic and fainted while having bowl movement. Did not have low sugar. Feeling tired. Cause?

My dad is a diabetic patient, he fainted while having bowl moment, he did not have any symptoms like low sugar, his sugar testshowed 164, blooc pressure 133 64 52 pulse rate, whar could be the cause, he is conscious now, but feeling really tired
Posted Fri, 20 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Continue close monitoring

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

I am sorry to hear that your dad went through this stressful episode. I would tend to think that what occurred is what we refer to as a vasovagal episode. This happens when a person strains while performing some type of activity including bowel movement. Ultimately it causes a change in blood pressure through activity in the nervous system. This is especially a problem sometimes in diabetic patients.

I would recommend continued close monitoring. Monitor the blood pressure and blood sugar. Bring this to the attention of his primary care physician might recommend some type of additional testing including possibly an Echo cardiogram.

Thank you again for sending your question. Please let us know if you have any additional concerns.

Dr. Galamaga

Follow-up: Diabetic and fainted while having bowl movement. Did not have low sugar. Feeling tired. Cause? 6 minutes later
Thank you, I will follow up with PCP, what can he eat now, he is really tired, fyi,
he had lower abdominal pain before he fainted
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 16 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
stick to a bland diet - bread rice bananas and toast or now. make sure also that he is drinking enough fluids.