Diabetic and A1C is above normal. Taking high insulin dosage. How to reduce A1C level?

I am diabetic and my A1C is almost always above normal (7.9, 8.8, 10.3). My endocrinologist is concerned and therefore keeps my insulin dosage up. But I crash a lot, especially when I'm sleeping! I've been 32, 41, 52, and even below 20. Is it really that important to get the A1C down?
Posted Sun, 30 Jun 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 27 days later
Thanks for your question.
Your doctor is rightly concerned, it is very important to keep your sugar under control.
HbA1C is an indicator of sugar control in the long run & shows your health status of preceeding two months. If you are doing good diet control at one time & not being serious at other times, then your HbA1C will not come back normal.
So, first step in sugar control is to change your life style to an active one, & change your dietary habits. You should eat diets with low glycemic index. You should be eating a high fibre diet with no sugar. A dietitian input may prove very beneficial, in addition to your regular doctors appointment.
If you develop hypoglycemia then you should discuss this with your doctor, adjusting the dose & type of insulin can solve this problem along with regular monitoring of your sugar levels.
Hope I have given you the desired response. Please write back if you want any clariufication.
Wish you good health.