Diabetic. Overweight. Have belly fat. Have pain in feet and legs around ankle. Ultrasound result normal. Help?

I am overweight by 50 pounds and have belly fat and am type 2 diabetic. My feet turn purple and now my right leg turns a dark color from time to time. Pain in my feet and legs especially around my right ankle. Had vascular ultra sound three times on my legs and everything came out normal - yesterday had dopler ultra sound on my legs and the results were normal. I have very little appitite and eat mainly soup this month. Today my left leg has been hurting and now my right arm is hurting off and on. Thank you.
thank you very much.
Posted Fri, 11 Oct 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Diabetic neuropathy/arthritis,lab determination

Detailed Answer:

There are 2 main explanations to your hurting problems:

1. It might be related to "Diabetic neuropathy".

2. Arthritis.

As you are suffering of diabetes, most probably you are experiencing neuropathy problems. It has nothing to do with blood vessels in your legs, but has to do with damages to the nerves in your legs

Therefore, I would suggest to perform the following tests in order to determine whether your hurting problems are related to diabetic neuropathy or arthritis pain or both:

- physical exam (unfortunately I cannot do it virtually, but your doctor can) evaluates the strength and tone of the muscles, tendon reflexes, and how much sensitive the skin is to temperature, vibration and touch.

- other exam include those that can evaluate the performance of the nerves: filament test; conduction and electromyography (EMG), etc. Once some problems are noticed during the physical exam; then, these other exams might be carried out.

- for arthritis: erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ERS); C-reactive protetin (CRP); fibrinogen level; rheumatoid factor; antistreptolysin test (ASO).

Once the lab results are in, you can send them to me for further evaluation.

Next, could you send a picture of your feet and leg for better understanding? To my guess, it might be related to neuropathy; however, your picture would help me get the right answer.

In addition, your being overweight is a typical side effect of insulin use. I am always advising my patients not to rely only on the medications.

Lifestyle changes (stop smoking, alcohol, exercising, etc) and healthy dietary regimen can make the difference.

Furthermore, use of certain (local or international) herbs (as tea) in lowering blood sugar can help you achieve optimal blood glucose levels, lose weight and ameliorating such side effects as neuropathy.

Hope it helped!